Biodiversity & The Interconnectedness of Life in Two World Heritage Sites
While some biology camps spend lots of time in a classroom or in one location, this program introduces you to the incredible biodiversity of multiple environments in Far North Queensland. From the jungle-draped Wet Tropics to the sun-soaked Great Barrier Reef, this biology camp is designed to explore dynamic marine ecology as well as the terrestrial and human ecologies of this incredible region.
Twelve out of the world’s 19 families of primitive flowering plants grow here and within these families, there are at least 50 species found only in the Wet Tropics. In addition, this area hosts about a third of Australia’s 315 mammal species and 13 of these are found nowhere else in the world. Join us on a biology program taught by passionate educators who will inspire and ignite your students’ enthusiasm of the natural world.
- Help collect data on coral bleaching and coral predators at The Great Barrier Reef.
- Stay overnight at a research station and evaluate its rainforest ecosystem.
- Learn to fashion insect traps that allow observation of entomological diversity.
- Weave among the mangroves and test water quality levels.
- Learn from a marine biologist’s presentation about the reef.
- Rise above the Daintree Rainforest in a one-of-a-kind canopy crane.
- Tour James Cook University’s herbarium for unmatched examinations of plant species including some of Sir Joseph Banks’ collection.
- Perform biologist’s fieldwork with transects and quadrats and sketch a vegetation profile.
- Accommodation throughout the itinerary
- Cairns airport transfers
- Guide on days 1-2
- Aboriginal guides days 3-4
- Specialty guides and educators
- All activities and entrance fees as described in the itinerary
- Transportation to activities
- 3 nights at Cairns budget accommodation 1 night bush camping (tents, sleeping pads and bags provided)
- All continental breakfasts
- All lunches
- All dinners
- A hand-painted canvas to take home
- Pre-trip educational information
- 5 metres square Daintree rainforest plot adopted in your group’s name through Rainforest Rescue
- A BPA free reusable water bottle and cloth shopping bag
Terms & Conditions:
Please be advised that this is an ‘example’ of a schedule and that the activities may be variable dependent upon dates, weather, special requests and other factors. Itineraries will be confirmed prior to travel.